Byron is a senior investment banker with 30 years of financial experience, including corporate finance, business development, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), joint ventures and restructuring. He has analyzed thousands of companies and restructurings in a wide range of industries, including healthcare, retail and manufacturing.
For over three decades, Byron has analyzed, restructured and completed capital raises for successful growth opportunities and turnarounds. He specializes in corporate finance, M&A, liability management, equity, debt and alternative capital structuring and sourcing, interim leadership, and forensic investigations.
Throughout his career, Byron has:
- Been actively involved in more than 100 transactions involving more than $100 billion of debt and equity capital raises, structured finance arrangements, restructurings, debtor-in-possession (DIP) financings and M&A.
- Served as the lead director at a private healthcare services business, where he provided DIP financing, acquired a company through a Chapter 11 plan, secured exit financing, negotiated joint venture (JV billing) agreements, implemented a crisis management plan and recruited new senior management.
- Served as the lead director for a public petrochemical company, where he obtained an M&A cover bid for a pulp chemicals operation, negotiated rights offering a Chapter 11 exit financing, implemented a $20 million cost reduction program, recruited new senior management and refinanced high-yield debt.
- Conducted forensic investigations in various roles, including as a board member, company executive and certified public accountant (CPA).
Prior to joining Huron, Byron was a managing director and chief investment officer of Resurgence Asset Management, the special situation investing group of M.D. Sass. He also created First Commercial Credit Corp., which provided factoring services for distressed retailers, and served on the board of Fifth Street Finance Corp., a leading publicly traded business development company (BDC). Previously, he served as the chief financial officer of a private retail company and a CPA with Touche Ross, a predecessor of Deloitte Touche.
Byron has served as a board member and trustee for numerous organizations, including public and private retail chains; private software services companies; and manufacturing, gaming, real estate, transportation and financial organizations.
Byron holds a Master of Business Administration from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and a Bachelor of Science in business administration with honors from the University of California, Berkeley. He is also an inactive CPA in California and a registered representative of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) with Series 63 and Series 79 licenses.
Areas of Expertise
- Mergers Acquisitions and Partnerships
- Consumer Products
- Industrials and Manufacturing
Education & Certifications
- MBA, University of Pennsylvania
- B.S., University of California, Berkeley
- Certified Public Accountant (inactive)
- FINRA-registered representative Series 63 and Series 79