Dennis has more than 35 years of experience in organizing and leading teams to invest and manage both upstream and midstream oil field services and related infrastructure investments.
Dennis is the co-leader of Huron’s energy business, which has been engaged in 22 oil and gas restructuring engagements since 2015. Throughout his career, Dennis has:
- Served as the leader on a $327 million volumetric production payment transaction.
- Led the technical origination and acquisition of significant shale positions for two publicly traded companies.
- Led a major energy company to establish a tight oil horizontal development play in the Central Basin Platform.
- Advised turnaround operations at a small U.S. oil and gas company emerging from Chapter 11 and served as its interim chief operating officer (COO).
- Carved out a pipeline integrity unit from a Canadian engineering firm, serving as its interim chief executive officer (CEO).
- Served as the senior vice president (SVP) and general counsel of a Fortune 500 exploration and production (E&P) company.
- Led culture change at a failing oil and gas joint venture (JV), resulting in the successful execution of an oil and gas development plan and growth in JV value from $200 million to $1.2 billion.
- Served as the interim general manager at a Malaysian E&P company, where he recruited key technical staff, orchestrated successful 3D acquisition and obtained government approval for a drilling program.
- Served as in-house counsel and later general counsel at a large energy company, handling all Gulf of Mexico (GOM) joint operating agreements, federal offshore leases, offshore lease sales, farm-ins, farmouts, outer continental shelf and coastal zone management regulatory issues, and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) regulatory issues.
Prior to joining Huron, Dennis was CEO of an EOG Resources International subsidiary, during which time the company’s valuation grew from $180 million to $1 billion and reserves increased from 431 billion cubic feet equivalent (BCFE) to 2.2 trillion cubic feet (TCF). As president of EOG Resources International, he managed large production and drilling operations offshore India and offshore Trinidad, at one point managing three offshore drilling rigs in India and two in Trinidad (operating simultaneously). He led the construction of three offshore production platforms and one offshore processing platform and drilled the largest discovery in the company’s history (1 TCF) offshore Trinidad.
He also served as president of Selentas Energy Partners, where he advised an array of clients on investments, transactions and operational improvements across the energy value chain.
Dennis holds a Bachelor of Arts in economics from the University of Illinois and a Juris Doctor from the Creighton University School of Law.
Areas of Expertise
- Restructuring and Turnaround
- Performance Improvement
- Budgeting and Financial Management
- Energy and Utilities
Education & Certifications
- J.D., Creighton University School of Law
- B.A., University of Illinois
- Summer program, The Parker School of Foreign and Comparative Law, Columbia University