Joe has over 25 years of experience helping oil and gas organizations transform and achieve their operational and financial strategies. As a strategic adviser in the energy industry, he works with private and public sector entities to elevate their governance and compliance as well as lead restructurings, capital raise needs, acquisition and divestiture (A&D) transactions, valuations and modeling.
Joe has been an adviser to oil and gas organizations for more than 25 years. He specializes in capital markets, A&D transactions, operational and financial strategy, and upstream and midstream operations as well as valuation expertise, restructuring and financial modeling.
Over the past 10 years as a CEO and CFO of two upstream energy companies, a pure-play Permian and a Marcellus Utica oil and gas company. Joe has focused on the strategic development of operations and assets, restructuring costs and balance sheets, and acquiring accretive assets.
During his career, Joe has:
- Held the role of CEO for a Permian energy company, increasing EBITDAX by 40%, and guiding the company through a restructuring and sale of assets.
- Held the role of CFO for a Marcellus and Utica midstream company growing the company from 20 to more than 200 miles of pipe and 2 Bcf/d of throughput.
- Held the role of CFO, president and treasurer for Lillis Energy Inc., growing the enterprise value from $50 million to greater than $550 million.
- Held the role of a member of the board of directors for a $1.0 billion midstream company.
- Increased a Texas-based exploration and production organization’s enterprise value from about $1 billion to $2.5 billion; raised approximately $180 million in equity; and led restructurings, divestitures and credit negotiations resulting in savings of nearly $800 million and nearly $400 million in additional credit.
- Led multiple upstream and midstream businesses through initial public offerings (IPOs) in the form of master limited partnerships and C corporations.
- Developed a strategic corporate business model that considered drilling and completions (D&C), acreage acquisitions, type curves, well economics and the use of capital for D&Cs.
- Formed and managed teams responsible for finance and accounting, legal, geology, land, investor relations, and operations for upstream and midstream energy companies.
Joe previously served as CEO, CFO, president and treasurer of Lilis Energy, which he guided through a restructuring and sale of assets. Prior to that, he was the CEO and CFO of Magnum Hunter Corporation. Joe has also served in various roles, including executive vice president and treasurer, for Energy & Exploration Partners, where he positioned the organization for an IPO. Prior to that, Joe built and led a financial and accounting advisory practice at Sirius Solutions and WG Consulting.
Joe holds a Master of Business Administration (MBA) in accounting from the University of Phoenix and a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Wilkes University. He is also a certified public accountant (CPA) in Texas.
Areas of Expertise
- Budgeting and Financial Management
- Performance Improvement
- Regulatory and Compliance
- Restructuring and Turnaround
- Mergers Acquisitions and Partnerships
- Enterprise Strategy
- Strategic Planning
- Energy and Utilities
- Financial Services
- Professional and Business Services
- Public Sector
Education & Certifications
- MBA, University of Phoenix
- B.S., Wilkes University
- CPA, Texas