Matthew has more than 20 years of experience managing performance improvement consulting engagements for a broad spectrum of healthcare provider clients, including integrated health systems, academic medical centers and community hospitals. He has specific expertise in perioperative services and procedure-level departments, including catheterization labs, radiology and emergency departments.
Matthew has led numerous hospitalwide operational and performance improvement consulting engagements to reduce costs among providers, increase revenue, implement effective policies and maximize care. He specializes in hospital operations, workforce management, capacity management and patient throughput, physician strategy, accountable care organizations, supply chain management, shared services optimization and large-scale clinical transformations to redesign patient care models and standardize care.
Throughout his career, Matthew has:
- Led a large team of consultants that removed more than $125 million in expenses from a large 1,500-plus-bed academic medical center (AMC), including more than $60 million in labor improvements.
- Developed two different accountable care organizations (ACOs) and clinically integrated networks (CINs) in the South Florida market, with a focus on employed and independent physicians to operate with a patient-first approach based on high-quality care.
- Served as the chief restructuring officer and chief operating officer at several large multiple-hospital systems, with high accolades.
- Led a team of consultants and physicians that were charged with standardizing the care model and removing $15 million in physician-generated costs from a large AMC.
- Led a large AMC’s turnaround of perioperative services that opened capacity to the operating room by 40%, reduced turnover time by 30% and increased utilization by 20%, while the operating room was able to perform at the defined “worked hour per unit of service” target.
- Created and led the development of performance management offices at several large AMCs and community hospitals.
Matthew is a member of the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) and American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE).
Matthew holds a Master of Business Administration in healthcare from Waynesburg University and a Bachelor of Science in marketing from Youngstown State University.