Sonja has more than 15 years of experience leading revenue cycle process optimization engagements for major health systems and academic health centers across the country. She has specific expertise in cost reduction, electronic health record (EHR) conversions, vendor outsourcing strategies and software upgrades.
For nearly two decades, Sonja has led performance improvement engagements for healthcare clients ranging in size from $200 million to over $7 billion in net revenue. She specializes in revenue cycle metric improvement and process redesigns, electronic health record (EHR) conversions, and conducting comprehensive cost-benefit analyses to provide recommendations regarding staffing, outsourcing and other officewide cultural changes.
Throughout her career, Sonja has:
- Led a project team of over 20 team members in a performance improvement project and software implementation, resulting in over $30 million in cash improvement for a major health system.
- Led a revenue cycle transformation project at an academic health center in the Northeast, resulting in over 3% net patient revenue (NPR) improvement.
- Overseen an EHR system conversion for a large academic health center to maintain revenue cycle performance.
- Led revenue cycle performance improvement initiatives for the physician health practice of a major health system, resulting in a developed vendor outsourcing strategy, consistency across insurance verification practices, and enhanced productivity and efficiency of the billing office.
- Led a multidisciplinary team on a project for a New York health system to revitalize all processes related to patient data capture and billing and to resolve staffing issues and client conflicts with its union, resulting in $12 million in cash improvement.
Prior to joining Huron, Sonja was a consultant with Stockamp and Associates, a revenue cycle performance improvement firm.
Sonja is a member of the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA).
Sonja holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration and a Bachelor of Arts in violin performance from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.