Unifying UNC Health Care Improves Operational and Financial Performance
"Huron helped us successfully standardize and integrate our operations. By partnering with our leaders and project management office, they helped us achieve the objectives of Carolina Value and realize significant financial and operational improvements," Gary Park, President, UNC Hospitals.
UNC Health Care (UNC HC) and Huron partnered to transform the system through Carolina Value, a systemwide initiative to improve operational efficiency, enhance processes and strengthen financial stability. Together, we developed and executed a comprehensive project leading to significant systemwide improvements, increased standardization and accountability, and sustainable change.
Increasing margin pressure and medical school funding constraints placed increased pressure on UNC HC’s bottom line. The system’s hospitals, physician groups and medical school were operating as independent organizations, resulting in inefficient processes and a lack of overall alignment.
Huron and UNC HC worked in tandem to create a clear vision for the future and transform the health system. To do so we:
- Empowered UNC HC employees to drive change. By creating a project management office and engaging hundreds of leaders in initiatives, UNC HC employees played a critical role in driving change as they worked alongside Huron and, in some cases, led project workstreams infusing UNC HC’s culture into new processes.
- Improved the patient experience. New processes led to easier appointment scheduling and decreased wait times resulting in an increase in patient volume. Enhanced huddle and interdisciplinary processes led to reduced length of stay and surgery errors.
- Increased collaboration and accountability. Systemwide metrics and dashboards were created and leveraged during new collaboration forums to monitor progress and ensure sustainability. A new Perioperative Roundtable promotes best practices and provides system-level support.
- Prepared the medical school for the future. Opportunities were identified to enhance research programs, develop new education platforms and improve efficiency of current operations.
- Standardized operations across the system. Systemwide approaches to revenue cycle and clinical documentation improvement programs resulted in significant financial benefit. By renegotiating contracts and implementing a systemwide value analysis program, a more efficient supply chain was created. Standardized workforce management practices allowed UNC HC to better deploy its staff to meet patient needs.
UNC Health Care
UNC Health Care is an integrated health care system comprised of UNC Hospitals and its provider network, UNC Faculty Physicians, UNC Physicians Network, the clinical patient care programs of the UNC School of Medicine and nine other hospitals and hospital systems across the state. Additional hospital entities include UNC Rex Healthcare, Chatham Hospital, Johnston Health, Pardee Hospital, High Point Regional Health, Caldwell Memorial, Nash Health Care, Wayne Memorial, UNC Lenoir Health Care and UNC Rockingham Health Care.Download Now