Northwestern Improves Management of Animal Facilities with Huron Software
Research leaders looked for a software solution that consolidated key animal laboratory business processes into one automated system.
Prior to 2018, Northwestern University used a combination of third-party and homegrown applications to manage its animal research facilities. With more than seven different stand-alone systems and paper processes, the approach was difficult and costly to maintain, leading to lost time and compliance risk. Wanting to reduce costs and administrative burden, Northwestern’s research leaders looked for a software solution that consolidated key animal laboratory business processes into one centralized and automated system.
Since Northwestern University was already using some of Huron’s other research administration applications – Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Conflict of Interest (COI) – research leaders were familiar with the software and the strength of Huron’s implementation teams. Huron’s Animal Operations software integrates with Northwestern’s existing Huron IACUC system, allowing important animal protocol information and animal usage information to be exchanged and processed in real time. This ability, coupled with Huron’s established working relationships, led Northwestern to begin implementation in March 2017.
Northwestern University went live with Huron’s Animal Operations software in February 2018 and was able to:
- Reduce paper usage and eliminate manual processes
- Avoid possible data entry errors using hand-held scanners
- Improve the timeliness of census data
- Minimize training time because the researchers and staff were already familiar with the other existing Huron applications
- Streamline the capture of vivarium activities, resulting in better reports and review metrics
- Integrate service request workflow and inventory management functionality
- Dramatically reduce time spent activating, moving and deactivating cage cards by integrating change stations with Animal Operations
Northwestern’s new animal operations solution helps improve researcher and staff efficiency, while improving compliance and overall animal welfare. Combined with the other Huron research administration applications previously deployed, the integrated suite positions the university for continued growth and research innovation. Learn more about our comprehensive suite of research software products.Learn More