Considerations for Selecting Your Animal Operations Software
Steven Abbott, Dan Gillespie
Do you have “one source of truth” for your animal facilities and expenses?
Accuracy is a key concern for those in research. Especially in animal operations where grants, compliance and trend reporting rely on accurate census and tracking data.
Institutions are finding it increasingly difficult to accurately and easily pull data from either underperforming or non-existent software solutions. Without a system that consolidates information in one central location, staff spend extra time searching for data and aren’t fully confident in the accuracy once they locate it.
The advent of mobile technology will improve accuracy by allowing researchers and vivarium staff members to perform operations in real time without having to shuffle paper back and forth with the vivarium staff.
Regulatatory changes are unpredictable and conducting your research, completing administrative functions and staying current with policy updates can be more than a full-time job. Having a robust and comprehensive software suite is key to keeping your time focused on what matters most – your research mission.
Whether you already have software for your Animal Operations or you are looking for a solution, there are many things to consider. When evaluating your Animal Operations, look for a partner and solution that:
- Understands Animal Operations. An industry partner with hands on vivarium experience will be able to provide best practices and solutions specific to your needs.
- Adopts to policies as they are updated. Regulatory changes can impact how animals are housed, expensed and cared for. Choosing a cloud-based system allows software to be upgraded by the vendor as policies change.
- Provides accurate data and tracking. Real-time and mobile tracking of animal numbers gives vivarium staff and researchers full visibility.
- Integrates with IACUC and with other systems. A functional Animal Operations system should not only integrate with an IACUC system, but also with grants, agreements, safety and facilities modules to ensure one consolidated system of record.
- Assists with animal business operations. A comprehensive partner can help institutions develop rates to promote federal compliance, while identifying opportunities to improve cost recovery. Huron utilizes a proprietary per diem model which applies the principles of federal Cost Analysis and Rate Setting guidelines in a straightforward calculation.
Learn more about Huron's Animal Operations as well as our comprehensive suite of research software products.Learn More