Andrew has over 15 years of higher education experience and leads the strategy and operations service line in Huron’s education business.
Andrew helps colleges and universities maximize, allocate and leverage financial resources. Andrew’s optimization projects include revenue enhancement and cost reduction initiatives designed to maximize resources; budgeting and financial modeling initiatives designed to align resources with strategic priorities; and organizational assessment initiatives designed to improve resource allocation. Andrew has led optimization projects at over 80 institutions. In addition to his role at Huron, Andrew serves as an adjunct faculty member at Vanderbilt University.
Throughout his career, Andrew has:
- Helped over 50 institutions assess their approaches to resource management, allocation and planning to determine how effectively the models support institutional strategies, drive stakeholder behaviors and incentivize operational efficiencies. Dozens of these assessments led to transitions from incremental budget models to responsibility center management (RCM).
- Led administrative resource optimization projects at over 40 institutions, many of which supported institutional leaders with unfunded strategic plans. Following the Great Recession in 2008, these efforts shifted primarily to assisting institutions in financial distress.
- Worked with over 20 institutions to evaluate their academic portfolios by developing instructional costing models to facilitate faculty discussions about the need for a balanced and sustainable set of academic programs.
Prior to joining Huron, Andrew spent four years in investment banking, focused on financial modeling, ratio analysis and revenue and cost forecasting.
Areas of Expertise
- Budgeting and Financial Management
- Strategic Planning
- Business Planning
- Business Unit Strategy
- Academic Affairs
Education & Certifications
- Ed.D., Vanderbilt University
- MBA, University of Chicago
- BBA, University of Mississippi
Available to Purchase
Responsibility Center Management: A Guide to Balancing Academic Entrepreneurship With Fiscal Responsibility
Multiple economic and political challenges have driven universities to change how they fund and finance education and research during the last 50 to 60 years. In Responsibility Center Management, authors John R. Curry, Andrew L. Laws and Jon C. Strauss describe the many nuances and techniques institutions can use to implement RCM in this newly revised second edition.Purchase