Phil has more than 25 years of experience guiding academic health centers and higher education institutions through organizational, operational and technology transformation.
Phil has more than two decades of demonstrated expertise working with large institutions and complex organizations to transform their internal operations and culture. He specializes in leading clients through operating model redesign, business process improvement, talent management strategy development and technology enablement initiatives.
Over the course of his career, Phil has:
- Led operational improvement initiatives at major public research and academic health institutions, identifying opportunities to generate up to $100 million in financial benefit across the academic, clinical and research enterprises.
- Advised numerous health systems and higher education institutions on human resources (HR) change initiatives, including shared service model development, performance improvement opportunities and human capital management (HCM) systems optimization.
- Managed efforts to redefine institutions’ employment and compensation strategies, increasing transparency and accountability, and positioning the organizations to better attract and retain top talent.
Phil is a frequent speaker at industry events sponsored by organizations including the American Council on Education and the American Association of State Colleges and Universities.
Prior to joining Wellspring, which was acquired by Huron in 2007, Phil was a partner at an American Lawyer 200 law firm where he led the compensation and benefits practice. He advised for-profit and nonprofit clients worldwide on the implementation, compliance and termination of compensation, retirement plans, welfare plans and fringe benefit arrangements. He has also helped buyers, sellers and lenders navigate critical people issues pertaining to mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations and divestitures.
Areas of Expertise
- Performance Improvement
- Change Management and Leadership
- Organizational Design and Alignment
Education & Certifications
- J.D., Illinois Institute of Technology
- B.S., University of Illinois at Chicago
- Accelerating Implementation Methodology (AIM) certification