For over 20 years, Sean has guided stakeholders through in-court and out-of-court restructurings, mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and acquisition and divestiture (A&D) transactions, business insurance claims and damages analyses, and forensic investigations. He has worked across numerous industries, including upstream, midstream, and downstream energy; manufacturing; financial services; and healthcare.
Successfully advocating for clients in distressed situations requires a clear understanding of the situation coupled with a reasoned and calculated plan to solve it.”
In addition to advising banks, noteholders, equity holders, and debtors through complex financials situations, Sean has served in several fiduciary capacities, including as a trustee and board member, both in and out of court.
Throughout his career, Sean has:
- Advised bank syndicates through more than $50 billion in debt restructurings, where he directed valuations; engaged complex financial modeling and projection exercises; structured and negotiated amendments, waivers, and new money facilities; and provided extensive strategic advisory services.
- Served extensively as a financial adviser to debtors in possession. He has led and engaged in all aspects of the process, including developing business models, managing cash flows, supervising reporting to the bankruptcy courts, testifying, and negotiating debt agreements and plan structures.
- Negotiated and settled several business interruption and property damage claims, each in excess of $100 million.
- Participated in numerous financial due diligence and integration projects, ranging in size from $15 million to $500 million.
- Assisted in various financial statement fraud and asset misappropriation matters.
- Overseen the acquisition, development, and marketing of an early stage, minimally viable software product focused on hospital quality risk adjustment. Sean recruited the developer and subject matter support teams, as well as established the foundational principles needed to guide the purposeful and cost-effective development of the tool. Within two years, Sean led the team to positive cash flow.
- Served as a fiduciary in the form of trustee and sole member of a California-based, post-Chapter 11 entity. He was responsible for day-to-day management, business plan oversight and capital deployment, bank relationship management, and, ultimately, the sale and dissolution of the company.
- Sat as an independent board member and advisory board member to companies engaged in energy trading, an asset investment manager, and a life settlements firm. Duties included leading companies through the decision to file for Chapter 11, executing distressed sales, overseeing negotiations with creditors, and advising on employment matters.
Prior to joining Huron, Sean was a partner at Opportune, where he was critical in founding and co-leading its restructuring practice. He also worked as a manager in the dispute and investigation practices of Navigant Consulting Inc., Deloitte U.S., and Deloitte U.K. Sean’s work has been recognized several times by The M&A Advisor, including two Restructuring of the Year awards and a mention as a Top 40 Under 40 in restructuring.
Sean graduated from Texas A&M University, magna cum laude, with a bachelor’s degree of business administration in accounting and a Master of Science in finance.
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Dispute Advisory
- Restructuring and Turnaround
- Industrials and Manufacturing
- Energy and Utilities
- Financial Services
- Transportation and Logistics
- Consumer Products
Education & Certifications
- BBA, Texas A&M University
- M.S., Texas A&M University