Dr. Bill Satterwhite brings more than 20 years of experience as a clinician, physician administrator, and innovator as he leads healthcare organizations through performance improvement and care transformation. He has deep experience in ambulatory care process improvements and designing new value-based care models, both of which save money, improve health, and increase health system revenues.
Transformation is successful when front-line workers have adopted the changes as their own.”
About Dr. Satterwhite
With decades of experience in healthcare and health law, Dr. Bill Satterwhite advises clients on people, processes, and technology to improve care outcomes, worker health, costs, and revenue. As a speaker, Bill addresses physician leadership, healthcare innovation, direct care models for employers, wellness, and burnout.
Across his career, Bill has:
- Served as a physician market leader for a large health system with responsibilities for over 40 primary care practices.
- Held the role of medical director of a pediatric inpatient unit and a clinic in an underserved area.
- Been involved in process improvement for ambulatory clinics that improved access, eliminated patient waiting, and raised provider satisfaction.
- Established an on-site primary care provider clinic for a disaster relief nonprofit employer with over 2,000 employees, saving more than $1.5 million in first-year healthcare costs.
- Created an innovative mobile nurse-health coach model for a multistate retailer, creating powerful, trusting nurse-employee relationships while saving $700,000 in total healthcare costs for the first year.
- Grew downstream health system revenues from commercially insured engagements 66% over a three-year period for all services, including a 77% increase in revenues for primary care services.
Bill joined Huron from Sneez LLC, a technology startup focused on improving worker health, where he was a co-founder, a board member, and an interim CEO. He served as a healthcare executive at Wake Forest Baptist Health and Novant Health and has practiced as a pediatrician and a health law attorney.
Bill earned his medical doctorate from Wake Forest University School of Medicine and completed his residency at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. He achieved his Juris Doctor degree at the University of North Carolina School of Law and a Bachelor of Arts from Davidson College. Bill is board certified in pediatrics and has an active law license and medical license in North Carolina. He is a certified physician executive (CPE) through the American Association for Physician Leadership. He is a board member of Carenet Counseling.
Areas of Expertise
- Care Transformation
- Change Management and Leadership
- Performance Improvement
- Strategy and Innovation
Education & Certifications
- M.D., Wake Forest University
- J.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- B.A., Davidson College
- North Carolina medical license
- North Carolina law license