Dr. Chantal Lorio applies 28 years of medical practice experience and 14 years of physician leadership experience as she coaches leaders, physicians, and advanced practice providers on communication and leadership skills.
Culture is intangible — but the ingredients that create cultural transformation are real and tangible, and they require bold leadership, shared accountability, and consistent behavior.”
Chantal works with individual physician leaders as their executive coach to develop strong leadership skills and facilitates group training programs while leading organizational transformation, fostering a culture of patient-centered care. She guides providers on using empathic communication to create strong human connections and improve the patient experience.
Throughout her career, Chantal has:
- Developed communication and training programs to bring a major U.S. academic medical institution from below the 50th percentile to top quartile in the nation. These programs included shadowing and coaching over 300 providers; developing a four-hour continuing medical education intensive communication course; developing team-based empathy training for clinic, hospital, and emergency department teams; and the individual executive coaching of physician leaders.
- As the leader of a community hospital wound center, improved physician engagement, decreased turnover, increased revenue, and grew the physician staff by 75% in two years.
- Developed and expanded highly engaged physician teams, bringing leadership principles such as rounding, huddles, and monthly meetings to her leadership roles.
- Applied these leadership principles as a department chair in a major academic medical system, achieving the highest physician engagement scores in the system while growing the department from five to 25 physicians during her tenure.
Before Huron, Chantal served as system medical director of patient experience for the Ochsner Health System, leading experience of care and provider engagement. In addition, she was the associate medical director of wound care and the department chair of podiatric medicine and surgery for Ochsner. Chantal currently serves as vice president of the Louisiana Podiatric Medical Association and is on the advisory committee to the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners. Prior to Ochsner, Chantal worked at East Jefferson General Hospital, serving as medical director of the wound center and chief of podiatric medicine and surgery. She also served as residency director for the Lakeside Hospital Podiatric Surgical Residency Program.
Chantal has a doctoral degree in podiatric medicine with honors from the California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt University and completed her podiatric surgical residency at Baptist Memorial Rehabilitation Hospital in Germantown, Tennessee. She earned her Master of Science in healthcare management from The University of New Orleans and her Bachelor of Science in zoology from Louisiana State University. Chantal is board certified in podiatric surgery by the American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery as well as in podiatric medicine by The American Board of Podiatric Medicine. She holds a graduate certificate in executive coaching from The University of Texas at Dallas. Chantal completed the Physician Leadership Development Program through Huron and the Progressing Physician Leadership Program through the Ochsner Leadership Institute. She is an associate certified coach (ACC) through the International Coaching Federation.
Chantal is a fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE). She was named Physician Leader of the Year finalist in 2014 and Physician of the Year finalist in 2011 by Ochsner Health System. She also received the George Bailey Physician Award as Physician of the Quarter from East Jefferson General Hospital. Chantal frequently speaks at healthcare conferences and events and has served as a guest lecturer at the Tulane University Freeman School of Business.
Chantal volunteers with the Miracle League of Greater New Orleans’ buddy program.
Areas of Expertise
- Change Management and Leadership
- Cultural Change
- Learning and Development
- Organizational Transformation
- Patient Transformation
- Care Transformation
Education & Certifications
- DPM, Samuel Merritt University
- Podiatric Surgical Residency, Baptist Memorial Rehabilitation Hospital
- MSHCM, The University of New Orleans
- B.S., Louisiana State University
- Graduate Certificate in Executive Coaching, The University of Texas at Dallas
- Board Certified in Podiatric Surgery, American Podiatric Medical Association
- Board Certified in Podiatric Medicine, The American Board of Podiatric Medicine
- ACC, International Coaching Federation
- Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives
- Fellow, American Board of Wound Management
- Physician Leadership Development Program, Huron
- Progressing Physician Leadership Program, Ochsner Leadership Institute