Coley has more than 15 years of restructuring and turnaround experience advising debtors, secured lenders and unsecured creditors’ committees. He specializes in performance improvement, liquidity management, and developing and optimizing working capital enhancement processes.
For nearly two decades, Coley has advised on restructuring and turnarounds across multiple industries, including technology, telecommunications, oil and gas, airline, and banking. Throughout his career as a financial adviser, Coley has:
- Managed the avoidance action process for a $30 billion global telecommunications and data networking company, including investigating more than $350 million in potentially fraudulent transfers and the recovery of approximately $7 million along with $36 million in claim reductions.
- Analyzed approximately $60 billion in transactions and prepared an expert report detailing the potential Chapter 5 avoidance actions and fraudulent transfer exposure as well as related defenses for a $180 billion financial services parent company with automotive and mortgage servicing Chapter 11 debtor subsidiaries, reducing the estimated exposure to less than 0.075%.
- Enhanced the financial planning and analysis (FP&A) business unit reporting for a $1.5 billion educational content, technology and services company that serves higher education, K-12, professional and library markets worldwide.
- Evaluated the organizational structure and profitability metrics for a $550 million network services provider to develop a baseline for cost reduction initiatives and recommended and implemented approximately $40 million in various cost reduction initiatives across a phased plan of three years.
- Successfully deleveraged over $2 billion in debt by approximately 90% upon emergence from bankruptcy through a pre-negotiated plan of reorganization for a publicly traded, midtier upstream oil and natural gas exploration and production company.
Coley is a member of the Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors (AIRA) and the Turnaround Management Association (TMA).
Coley holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration finance from The University of Notre Dame. He is also a certified insolvency and restructuring adviser (CIRA).
Areas of Expertise
- Restructuring and Turnaround
- Industrials and Manufacturing
- Financial Services
- Technology Media and Telecommunications
- Energy and Utilities
Education & Certifications
- BBA, The University of Notre Dame
- Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Adviser