Dan has more than 20 years of experience helping healthcare organizations transform their digital strategy and technology platforms, including selecting, installing, supporting, and leveraging IT systems to make better decisions and achieve their strategic and operational objectives.
Effective prioritization and delivery require experiential leadership to establish high-functioning operating models that address the evolving needs of a healthcare organization. ”
Dan brings a hybrid of leadership experience across the healthcare continuum, including information systems and information technology (IS/IT), hospital operations, provider practice management, payor relations, and corporate compliance. For over 15 years, he has served as chief information officer (CIO), interim CIO, and trusted adviser to industry CIOs while leading large-scale transformation efforts within complex healthcare delivery systems. Dan has successfully led multiple merger and acquisition (M&A) transitions, large-scale Epic deployments, the design and implementation of effective electronic health record (EHR) support models, and the development of overall IS/IT department strategies.
Across his career, Dan has:
- Led an enterprise Epic implementation project for a multistate health system, resulting in a consolidation of previously disparate systems, increased clinician collaboration, and improved patient outcomes.
- Served as project director for a large-scale healthcare system merger, successfully developing and leading the strategy for consolidating Epic EHR and other IT assets, staff, applications portfolio, infrastructure, and underlying processes, allowing the newly merged entities to realize significant cost reductions and organizational integration.
- Led the development of effective and efficient Epic EHR user and system support strategies in academic and community health systems, resulting in increased staff and end-user satisfaction.
- Conducted an assessment of a stalled EHR implementation project for an academic medical center, then developed and led the remediation plan that resulted in an on-budget, successful deployment.
- Co-led a lean process improvement initiative for a large urban health system, resulting in a 50% increased capacity in endoscopy procedural areas using existing space and equipment.
Prior to joining Huron, Dan worked as an independent consultant providing strategic consulting services to leading healthcare organizations. He served as CIO at the University of Arizona Health Network, director of clinical applications at Essentia Health, and director of cardiovascular services at Regions Hospital, in addition to other leadership and consulting roles throughout the industry.
Dan earned a Bachelor of Arts from The College of St. Scholastica.
Areas of Expertise
- Advisory Services
- Digital Technology and Analytics
- Electronic Health Records
- Managed Services
- Mergers Acquisitions and Partnerships
- Technology Operations and Strategy
Education & Certifications
- B.A., The College of St. Scholastica