Don has over 30 years of experience with health, life, ancillary and disability carriers of all sizes. Don has worked with for-profit and nonprofit health insurance entities, governmental entities at the federal and state levels, and international insurance carriers. Currently, he leads Huron’s business development and engagement activities related to health insurance.
Transformation occurs both in waves and incrementally. I seek to deliver ongoing transformation through each.”
Don's experience includes efficiency improvements for back-, middle- and front-office operations, implementing multiyear transformation initiatives and leading the outsourcing and co-sourcing of domestic and international engagements. Don works to drive client satisfaction through focused listening, fostering positive team dynamics, and ensuring shared success and learning.
Career highlights include:
- Two multiyear transformation programs for major health insurers where he led the migration of 100% of membership to a new core administrative system (on time and on budget); these programs included information technology (IT) outsourcing, business process outsourcing and culture transformation.
- A major health insurer’s first global outsourcing engagement.
- Numerous “value-based, gain-sharing” programs to reduce claims financial leakage by carriers.
- Several engagements related to post-mergers and acquisitions (M&A) business process and system rationalization (including significant staff training and realignment).
- Culture transformation and change management initiatives during which he led training efforts for back -, middle- and front-office personnel.
- Numerous renewed go-to-market strategies and various new product launches.
In addition to his consulting experience, Don has worked for three insurance carriers in a variety of leadership roles. Prior to joining Huron, Don was vice president and client executive at Highmark Health. In this position, he was responsible for commercial activities between the Highmark Health family of companies and 12 Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) partner plans. In this role, he managed and grew a large portfolio of diverse business-to-business (B2B) partnerships, including strategic system implementations, process improvement initiatives and business process outsourcing. Don’s deep health insurance operations experience was also developed while leading operating units at UnitedHealthcare and Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina. Don also spent 15 years at Accenture, serving as a lead partner for several years; while at Accenture, he delivered value-based arrangements with several commercial and BCBS health insurers.
Don holds Bachelor of Arts degrees in political science and German from Duke University.
Don is a periodic guest speaker at Fordham and Duke universities, as well as industry conferences.