Marcus has nearly 15 years of experience leading transformation and profitability initiatives for healthcare organizations, from increased net revenue through billing and collections improvements to renegotiated provider contracts and redesigned compensation plans — all while boosting employee satisfaction and engagement.
A successful transformation starts with a vision and a communication strategy that fosters broad acceptance and understanding of the role the individual plays in helping achieve that vision.”
Marcus has served healthcare clients for nearly 15 years, leading transformative change in contracting, provider relations and customer service, budgeting and operational efficiencies, revenue cycle and finance, billing and collections, denials, physician compensation plans, and reporting technology. His expertise in leadership, technology and processes has resulted in increased net revenue, organizational growth and innovation, satisfied internal and external stakeholders, and reduced operational risk.
During his career, Marcus has:
- Provided critical support to a West Coast health insurance organization, ensuring a smooth transition into the new coordinated care organization contractual relationship with a state government agency, including executing over 100 unique provider contracts.
- Helped a West Coast nonprofit healthcare system implement operational efficiencies, including reducing staff and real estate based on a changing competitive landscape and shifting consumer demand, achieving nearly $2 million in annual savings.
- Identified clinician coding and billing efficiencies for a community healthcare system with 14,000 employees, resulting in an estimated $2.4 million savings.
- Led accounts receivable (AR) improvements for a Pacific Northwest healthcare system, decreasing average weekly AR days by 33% and improving the average weekly cash factor by almost 7%.
- Implemented cash collection goals for a nonprofit healthcare system, increasing collections from $97 million to $135 million in two years.
Before Huron, Marcus served as director of value-based payment and provider services at CareOregon. Prior to that, he held multiple leadership roles at Legacy Health in revenue cycle and medical group clinical operations. Marcus began his healthcare career at Huron, supporting revenue cycle implementations and ensuring solution sustainability.
Marcus is a member of the Healthcare Financial Management Association and the Medical Group Management Association.
Areas of Expertise
- Budgeting and Financial Management
- Managed Services
- Performance Improvement
- Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Electronic Health Records
- Change Management and Leadership
- Business Planning
- Business Unit Strategy
- Financial Services
- Professional and Business Services
- Public Sector
Education & Certifications
- B.A., Oregon State University