Ryan has more than 20 years of experience guiding businesses, fiduciaries, and stakeholders through difficult and contentious circumstances.
During a corporate reorganization, it is imperative to act decisively, confidently, and in a manner that builds the trust necessary to create a successful and lasting transformation. ”
Ryan has advised clients in a wide range of industries on Chapter 11 bankruptcies, out-of-court reorganizations, operational restructurings, strategic alternatives, capital raising, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), and corporate valuations. He has supported litigation efforts as both an adviser and an expert witness.
Ryan has served as both an operational adviser and an investment banker, and he has evaluated distressed investment opportunities as a buy-side analyst. He is a practiced, trusted, and sought-after consultant to executives, board members, and stakeholders, with experience in industries including construction, manufacturing, automotives, energy and power, shipping, media and publishing, retail and restaurants, hospitality and entertainment, and technology, among others.
Throughout his career, Ryan has:
- Served as a chief restructuring officer to manage tight liquidity, address operational challenges, oversee reorganization efforts and process integrity, and maximize value and recoveries across the capital structure.
- Guided lenders, steering committees, and syndicates to full recoveries in multiple in-court and out-of-court situations, often amid aggressive litigation launched by junior stakeholders, as well as assisted with the structuring and implementation of debtor-in-possession (DIP) and exit financings in these situations.
- Advised boards and independent managers of distressed companies with risk assessments, strategic alternatives, and support throughout the reorganization process.
- Led extensive litigation-related analyses and efforts, including with respect to solvency, other fraudulent transfers, valuation, and forensic exercises.
- Structured, negotiated, and driven consensus for creative reorganization solutions among entrenched principals with competing interests and agendas.
- Raised various forms of distressed debt and equity capital, as well as led in-court and out-of-court M&A efforts, including Section 363 sales.
- Engaged in capital structure rationalization and liability management transactions.
- Served as a financial adviser and/or investment banker to ad hoc and official committees in jurisdictions throughout the country.
- Executed numerous multibillion-dollar capital raises to effect leveraged buyouts and corporate acquisitions and to fund working capital and operations.
Prior to joining Huron, Ryan was a partner at Opportune LLP and the co-leader of its restructuring practice. Before that, he was a vice president in the restructuring practice at Duff & Phelps Securities (formerly known as Chanin Capital Partners) and a vice president at Panagos Katz Situational Investing, where he evaluated distressed investing opportunities. Ryan began his career in the syndicated and leveraged finance group at JPMorgan.
Ryan holds a Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, in international relations and economics from Tufts University and a Juris Doctor from Wake Forest University School of Law.
Areas of Expertise
- Advisory Services
- Business Operations
- Business Planning
- Mergers Acquisitions and Partnerships
- Restructuring and Turnaround
- Energy and Utilities
- Transportation and Logistics
Education & Certifications
- J.D., Wake Forest University School of Law
- B.A., Tufts University