Tim has spent nearly 25 years working in the higher education and healthcare industries, improving administrative and operational practices for universities, academic health centers and hospitals, including serving as a business advisor to more than 65 research institutions.
Tim has spent more than two decades helping universities, academic health centers and hospitals redefine their approach to research administration. He specializes in developing training programs, policies and procedures, optimizing organizational structures and leading software implementations to help institutions improve the business of research.
Tim works with institutions to transform all aspects of their administrative and operational research functions, including grant and contact administration, financial reporting, billing, accounts receivable, effort reporting, subrecipient monitoring, conflict of interest resolution, compliance with cost accounting standards, financial reconciliations, audit resolution and financial remediation.
Throughout his career, Tim has:
- Overseen comprehensive assessments of the research administration infrastructure and implementation of associated recommendations for both large and small research institutions.
- Served in a variety of leadership roles at universities and within health systems, where he was responsible for overseeing units and their staff, managing daily operations, training and onboarding, reviewing and approving work, audit resolution and leading human resource initiatives.
- Served as the operations manager for a post-award office where he reviewed new and continuation award set-ups, budget loads, financial reports, outgoing invoices, cost transfers, effort certifications and closing paperwork for sponsored awards.
- Guided multiple clients through the implementation of Oracle and PeopleSoft grants management solutions, helping redevelop automated billing, letter of credit and accounts receivable processes.
- Developed and populated an effort-reporting database designed to capture the proposed and actual effort spend on an institution’s sponsored awards by revising its policies, procedures and certification form.
Tim is a member of the National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA) and was a contributing editor for the NCURA Magazine from 2013-2014. He regularly speaks on topics such as cost accounting standards, financial compliance and various best practice procedures at NCURA, SRA and other regional conferences.