With over 25 years of leadership experience, Clay knows what it takes to achieve world-class results and world-class relationships. His diverse background and experience brings a unique perspective to his work. The consistent feedback from audiences is that Clay’s style is one of head (intellectual), heart (inspirational), and hands (instructional).
Clay serves as the managing director of operations, patient experience, for ChenMed. His responsibilities include:
- Designing, implementing, and hardwiring the VIP service and patient retention strategies for this value-based, primary care provider headquartered in Miami, Florida, that is rapidly growing its model across the country.
- Working with over 100 ChenMed centers in 13 different states to ensure evidence-based best practices are consistently executed by more than 5,000 workers.
- Consistently improving patient loyalty and retention results by more than 80% per year.
- Sustaining and improving an enterprisewide net promoter score of 80 (considered best in class).
- Helping to achieve 5 star-level Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Provider and Systems (CAHPS) results with numerous health plan/payor partnerships.
- Sustaining and improving enterprisewide employee engagement and employee turnover.
Prior to ChenMed, Clay served as director, international coach, and speaker at Huron. He served as an adviser for nationally recognized academic medical centers, large regional health systems, and national health systems. His clients included hospitals ranked as U.S. News & World Report's Best Hospitals and appeared on Becker's Hospital Review's 100 Great Community Hospitals and Truven Health's 100 Top Hospitals lists, Becker's Top 100 Rural and Community Hospitals list, and Modern Healthcare's Best Places to Work in Healthcare list. These organizations hold some of the highest value-based purchasing scores in the nation. Several have a five-star rating in patient experience from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, and they include the first six-time Magnet-recognized hospital and the top-ranked hospitals on the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospital list in Washington and Pennsylvania. Dozens of his clients received awards at Huron's annual What's Right in Health Care® Conference, and many were chosen to present their results at the conference.
Clay also held the roles of radio department director and performance improvement program coordinator at The University of Tennessee Medical Center.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Operations
- Care Transformation
- Organizational Transformation
- Fellow and Member, American College of Healthcare Executives
- Member, American Society of Quality
- Member, Association for Training and Development
- Member, Certified Coaches Alliance
Education & Certifications
- MBA, Health Services Administration, Strayer University
- B.S., Physical Education, East Tennessee State University
- Teleos Coach Development Program (ICF Certification), Teleos Leadership Institute
- Certified Coach Practitioner/ICF Accredited, Certified Coaches Alliance
- Board Certified in Healthcare Management, Fellow of American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE)
- Certified Management by Strengths trainer and facilitator
- Certified Six Sigma Black Belt, American Society of Quality
- WDW College Program Alumni, Walt Disney World College Program
Speaking Topics List
- Alignment and Accountability
- Change Management and Leadership
- Employee Attraction and Engagement
- Executive Leadership
- Organizational Culture
- Patient and Consumer Experience
- High-Reliability Organization (HRO)
I have been in the healthcare industry for 25+ years, and Clay is at the very top of my speaker list. He is dynamic, entertaining, and best of all, educational. I have seen him present to the same audience for two full days, and never once did he lose their attention, in my mind, there is no harder task for a speaker. As our “Hardwiring” coach, I see him speak quite often and always walk away having learned something that I can put into immediate practice.”
Dynamic, Excellent; Fantastic speaker; He was great! Tied his presentation to our goals - very clear and concise; Awesome, would love for him to speak again; Best and most relevant speaker during this LDI! Clay is a great speaker. I really learned a lot from him.”
Highest ranked Leadership Development Institute we have ever had. A 98.6% overall approval rating!”
Please note that testimonials or endorsements found on this website do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of any services provided by Huron. Prospective clients may not obtain the same or similar results.
Available to Purchase
Best sellers, leadership development, team development, patient and employee engagement, and more.Visit Our Amazon Bookstore