Brett has more than 30 years of experience helping higher education organizations develop and implement strategic plans, comprehensive resource plans, capital planning and construction programs, process improvements, systems implementations, effective budget modeling, and strategic balance sheet management to drive programmatic success and improve operating performance.
Successfully driving progress and continuous improvement requires innovative strategies supported by effective resource planning and a clear and accountable plan for execution and delivery.”
Brett provides proven guidance and counsel to universities seeking to drive improvement and progress, through effective strategic planning, comprehensive resource planning and budgeting, and operational improvement initiatives. Drawing on experiences from a wide portfolio, he lends his expertise to help universities achieve their goals.
Throughout his career, Brett has:
- Led the development and implementation of a comprehensive resource initiative for a research university, resulting in the achievement of key strategic planning goals, including significant facility and infrastructure investments, while simultaneously improving operating margins, liquidity, and balance sheet strength.
- Co-led a comprehensive Oracle Cloud implementation initiative for a research university, resulting in enhanced productivity, operating performance, and improved business insights.
- Led capital planning, financing, and construction of over a billion dollars in new facilities and renovations, helping to transform aging university campuses into more dynamic, competitive, and strategic universities.
- Led multiple organizational redesign efforts for major campus support divisions, including human resources, enrollment management and student financial services, and financial operations and related functions, resulting in improved customer service, enhanced efficiencies, and greater productivity at tier-one research (R1) universities.
- Developing and implementing successful financial, operating, and capital strategies for major Power 5 athletic programs.
Prior to joining Huron, Brett served as chief business officer at Baylor University. He held the role of executive vice president and chief financial officer at Clemson University.
Brett earned a Master of Arts and a Bachelor of Science from Clemson University.
Brett has been active in NACUBO and other professional organizations, presenting on a variety of topics, including enterprise risk management and process improvement, recruiting and retaining top talent, identifying alternative funding sources, sustainable universities, and integrated planning and budgeting for strategic initiatives. He has also served on boards of nonprofit community organizations, such as the Pickens County Red Cross, Palmetto Conservation Foundation, and Ten at the Top.
Areas of Expertise
- Budgeting and Financial Management
- Business Operations
- Organizational Design and Alignment
- Performance Improvement
- Strategic Planning
- Strategy and Innovation
Education & Certifications
- M.A., Clemson University
- B.S., Clemson University