John has over 25 years of experience driving innovation and excellence for healthcare institutions, with expertise in business operations and technology platforms, especially unlocking value in technical capabilities to achieve real-world outcomes for clients.
Transformation in the healthcare industry requires a balance between delivering healthy outcomes needed by people today and investing in innovative approaches that unlock improvement tomorrow.”
John combines technology and business leadership experience to help healthcare institutions make data-driven business decisions, improve business operations, enable strategic investments, plan through global issues that affect the supply chain, and respond to changing markets. He holds expertise in healthcare application modernization, payor-provider collaboration, financial solution development, healthcare analytics, advanced care and payment models, healthcare product design for healthcare exchange technology, and health insurance product design automation.
During his career, John has:
- Helped a large multistate health payor transition a suite of core operations and enterprise applications to a more efficient and economically sound computing platform and support operation. The initiative led to a 35% improvement in spending and a multifaceted transformation that modernized both the business and IT model, driving additional capabilities, efficiency, and business value.
- Co-developed a cognitive computing platform to improve and modernize call center operations with a national health payor services organization supporting multiple health plans throughout North America. This resulted in call center associates obtaining real-time, contextual support information, all but eliminating hold times for associate research. In addition to other call center metric improvements, the implementation of an AI “chatbot” that redirects and contains incoming member, provider, and producer interactions within the digital channel helped improve the overall cost of operations for the call center.
- Supported a multistate health payor bid and won a statewide Medicaid contract through a complex business value assessment and capability maturity assessment, covering both technical and business process. In addition to providing recommendations to the business sponsor and key stakeholders, the team delivered business accelerators that the organization now uses to differentiate its offering.
- Led an end-to-end, sales-to-service cognitive process automation and quality improvement effort at a multistate health payor, intended to eliminate waste and improve overall process automation by 50%. The implementation shortened the group setup time by six weeks and eliminated over 60% of in-line quality errors in product setup, benefit coding, and group enrollment, leading to significant cost reductions in claims adjustments and other operational costs.
Prior to Huron, John served in multiple leadership roles, including managing client partner, at IBM Consulting. He has held leadership roles in other professional services organizations and a health insurance business.
John earned his Master of Business Administration, with highest honors, from University of Phoenix. He holds a Bachelor of Science in computer science from the University of Pittsburgh.
John volunteers for local family crisis centers and outreach programs for the hungry.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Business Operations
- Data Management and Analytics
- Intelligent Automation
- Strategy and Innovation
- Life Sciences
- Professional and Business Services
- Public Sector
Education & Certifications
- MBA, University of Phoenix
- B.S., University of Pittsburgh